Friday, January 14, 2011

On the frustrations of deluxe, expanded, legacy editions of favourite albums


Next week two CDs by one of my favourite bands, alt-country pioneers The Jayhawks, are re-released in 'legacy' or 'expanded' editions. This gives me mixed feelings. I already own both CDs and in order to obtain the additional material included in the deluxe model have to buy them both all over again. Looking at the new material, a significant amount appears to be alternative versions of songs already released in some shape or form. So to obtain about 10 songs that I don't already have in my collection, I have to buy two separate CDs at a cost even via Amazon of over £20. I suppose I could see if I can download individual tracks, but that won't quite be the same as owning the CD, complete with packaging, liner notes etc.

No doubt I shall give in - The Jayhawks never enjoyed the commercial success they deserve and I should be glad to give them my patronage. But the whole idea of deluxe expanded legacy editions still rankles.

(On the other hand for those who like music in the Neil Young, Gram Parsons, Wilco vein, but who don't own either Hollywood Town Hall or Tomorrow The Green Grass by The Jayhawks then the new editions released next week look like a good buy.)

No comments: